Smart marketers understand that traditional marketing is becoming less effective by the minute. Enter content marketing. Content marketing is about creating relationships and involves:
- Producing and publishing information that inspires trust among your ideal customers
- Building relationships and community, so customers are loyal to you and your brand
- Becoming recognized as a thought leader in your industry
- Driving sales without “hard sell” tactics
According to the Content Marketing Institute, a content marketing program should help you attract and retain customers by consistently creating relevant and valuable content. Instead of pitching your products or services, you deliver information that makes customers more knowledgeable, and as a result, more loyal to your business.
Recent research suggests that the strategy works. One survey found that 80 percent of business decision makers prefer to get company information in a series of articles versus an advertisement. Seventy percent say content marketing makes them feel closer to the sponsoring company. (See all the latest content marketing research here.)
Content marketing strategy doesn’t create itself—it’s the result of careful planning, strategizing and execution with any number of possible objectives in mind. A few to consider are:
- Lead conversion and nurturing
- Customer loyalty/retention
- Customer up-sell
- Develop passionate subscribers
In a nutshell, good content marketing delivers high-quality, relevant and valuable information to prospects and also drives profitable consumer action. If you’re not engaged in content marketing, it’s time to begin. Do it right and your company will break through the noise and see tangible results.